Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great Hiking in June 2012!

Hey everybody!

The end is approaching fast. There are only two more Sunday  hikes that will be in the White Lake vicinity while I am living here.
I've been struggling with which ones to do. I wondered to myself how I could possibly keep it interesting and cover new stuff, but the truth is there is far too much to cover, even before I move. I've decided for the last two Sunday ones I would go for quality stuff. We will revisit some of the places we have in recent hikes, but also cover some new stuff, some of which I haven't done.
This hike's route will likely be a loop, covering some of the best of the places we've covered in recent Ridge and Valley hikes as well as some new things that even I haven't done!
I plan on beginning at the White Lake parking lot, and following the Ridge and Valley Trail as well as other trails I have helped to develop during my time at White Lake. This will be the second to last Sunday hike we will do while I am living in the area.
We will cover some of the northbound Ridge and Valley Trail, as well as the looping sections to the east.
As per Carol's request, let's try to go for the purple theme!
One of the new preserves includes a lollipop loop that will take us out and back near Mallard Pond.
We'll also do some nice backroad walking and include sections of Frelinghuysen Forest Preserve we have not yet hiked, and also Gnome Hollow.
Further, I am trying to arrange for an historic tour to coincide with this trip, but it has not yet been planned.
Highlights of the trip:
-Amazing ridge and valley topography
-White Lake
-Small glacial sink hole ponds
-Historic Vass Farmstead
-Marl Works ruins
-Former girl scout camp site and ruins
-Invasive species identification
-Naturally growing pitcher plants
Meeting time will be 9 am Sunday at the White Lake Parking lot, along Rt 521, Stillwater Road, a few miles north of Blairstown, at the parking lot with the white fence across from the stone Vass Farmhouse.


Looking further ahead, I will do at least two more area hikes, either on Tuesday or Thursday evenings. This coming week it will be either Tuesday or Thursday, and the following week it will likely be Thursday evening. Meeting time will be 4:30 at White Lake for those, but please get in touch with me if you plan on attending those.
On Sunday, June 10th, Metrotrails Vice President Matthew Davis will probably be leading a hike, yet to be announced.


The final hike ending at White Lake Natural Resource Area will be Sunday, June 17th, and it's going to be something very special.
For that hike, an exclusive tour of Millbrook Village has been arranged for Metrotrails, hosted by noteworthy historians including Millbrook President, Mr. Wilson Bullivant. It will be an outstanding tour opportunity not to be missed! I am asking each participant make a modest donation to the village (I'll be giving $5) for their efforts.
The hike will lead us on a route up the Kittatinny Ridge passing Coventry Pond, then reaching the Appalachian Trail. We will follow the AT to the Blair Creek Preserve, then head down to follow it south. There will be a second of back road walking before picking up TNC property and the final section of the Ridge and Valley Trail back to White Lake to finish the trip.


The last week in June will mark the return of our normal hiking schedule, branching off in different directions. The next trip will likely be either Horseshoe Trail in Berks County, Wissahickon in Philadelphia, or Evansburg and Perkiomen area. All three of these trips will be planned for the near future regardless.

Other trips to be expected, though dates have not been picked will include Staten Island Greenbelt and beaches, Ramapos, Shawangunks in NY, Jim Thorpe PA area, Long Beach Island NJ, and Manasquan.

Stay tuned. The best is yet to come!


Contact me if you need further details! sneezehorse@hotmail.com or 908 343 8374

M'ke

No comments:

Post a Comment